Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How hard can it be?

We aren't really car people. I've had scientist no 2 (a boy) call me (a girl) to ask where the battery is in Maggie the Modus, for example.
Tyre pressure is one of those things I try not to think about too much. When I bought the Modus Walter asked me (after a year) if I'd checked the tyre pressure. I replied that it was a new car, with new tyres so why should I?
Walter and scientist no 1 waiting for me on the side of the road to bring my Renault's wheel-removing equipment since his broke and hers didn't fit. Mine didn't either, fortunately a friend rescued us with his Toyota wheel-removing thingy.
 
But I've always assumed there is a right answer to What tyre pressure should I use?

Wrong.

On our way back from the anniversary adventure in Magoebaskloof we stopped to fill up and I (very responsibly, I thought) decided to check the tyre pressure. I looked on the driver's side door where they conveniently put a little sticker with tyre pressures and confidently asked the attendant to put in the recommended pressure. I could tell he was impressed with my technical knowledge because he leapt into action, air hose in hand and started the process. I was fixing my lipstick in the lipstick mirror so I didn't notice him until he tapped on the window and asked me if I was sure that was right since there was much more air in the tyres already..
Being a girl, and not altogether sure,  I called the salesman who sold me the Ninja. I keep his number on speed dial for exactly these kinds of emergencies. I expected a straight answer, but the silence on the other end of the line wasn't because he was laughing at me, it was because he actually didn't know.
He promised to speak to the workshop manager and get back to me.
Five minutes later he called back with a different tyre pressure, which I told the attendant. I also wrote it down in my obsessive-compulsive-control logbook so that I wouldn't forget.
We've used that ever since.
However, last weekend on the teenytiny4x4 adventure, when the jolly offroader told me to reduce tyre pressure to get through the course without destroying my tyres and kindly offered to do it for me (Walter was distracted by a lurking bird with his binoculars and the bird book) he nearly had a hernia on the spot. "Your tyres are WAY too overinflated" he squawked "who on earth told you to put this much pressure in?"
"The dealer and the workshop manager" I said
"Idiots" he muttered
So now we're back to what it says on the door sticker.
Happy Ninja
 
Actually, it's much more comfortable and doesn't skip around on the highway anymore.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment