Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Ninja

I suddenly realised that I hadn't explained the Ninja at all.
Scientist #2 started university this year leading to a whole new transport problem. I find that if you try hard enough you can always find a child to blame, it's quite handy at times but more of that later...
The problem with universities is that they don't
a) have lift clubs (what's up with that?)
b) have a bus service if you live in the northern suburbs
I tried asking the Gautrain if they wouldn't mind building a line from our suburb to the university please, but they were entirely uninterested in my problems.
The Gautrain

So plan A was for Scientist#2 to use Granny's car, a 1976 Mercedes Benz 230 Automatic. Literally had one driver and we knew the history. Miss Daisy (the car) was not impressed about being driven by a teenager and sulked quite a few times, breaking down in inconvenient places and requiring the purchase of one small Arab emirate a week to keep the tank full.
Walter tried to persuade me to buy another Renault, but 3 French cars in the driveway and the associated maintenance costs is really quite enough for me.
Now I should explain that I've had nearly a quarter of a century being "mom's taxi" and even convicted murderers don't generally have to do that much time, so I did what any sensible mid-life crisis sufferer would do and went the "time for a new car for me" route. Not just any old car either, had to be 2 doors.
So Scientist #2 got the Modus (he's christened her Maggie) and I got the Ninja. Perfect solution - a 2-door 4x4.
 The Ninja in its natural habitat, cleverly disguised.

Of course none of the French cars speak Japanese (sacre bleu!), so there is some jostling for top dog position as far as available parking goes.

Walter is also worried that I may make a run for it and tells me he's fitted it with a tracker that alerts him if I get as far as the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment