Monday, June 28, 2010

In which Scientist no 2 arrives safely

Touched by everyone's concern yesterday. By everyone I mean some of the Twitter people who follow me, I had requests for updates on Scientist no 2's progress throughout the day.
There were 2 false starts; firstly I tried explaining to him that you have to get onto the N14 to stay on the N1. I know this makes no sense whatsoever, but it's the way our highways were planned. This is, after all, the fabled Great North Road that Cecil John Rhodes envirsioned, plus it's Africa, why make it easy?
Of course he thought I'd gone mad so he ignored me, stayed on the N1 and ended up on the N14. So he had to turn around, take the Pietersburg offramp (even though it's now called Polokwane - again, who am I to argue with this approach?) and then the N4.
He turned west onto the N4 (OK, he hasn't done navigation, so he had a 50% chance of getting it right) then take the first offramp to go back so that he was heading east. Fortunately it went smoothly after that.

I understand that his friends have already finished the R1,500-worth of alcohol they took with them, he's not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment