Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Kitty update

I came home early yesterday to check on the cats. Ming-Li had wedged herself under the bed and wouldn't come out, which is fairly typical of her attitude

Meeslet, on the other hand, still looked glassy-eyed and staggered around the study when I put her on the floor.
I called the vet to say I was on my way, grabbed my bag, stuffed her into the cat carrier cage (single cat size), and sped off. She yelled at me he whole way. (Next time you see people driving and apparently talking to themselves remember there could be a cat in the car)
Fortunately there were 2 vets waiting at the door for me (well, it might have been closing time) Vet no 1 rolled his eyes at the Hot Vet who scooped up the cage and bustled us into an examination room. Since he hadn't had the benefit of the 5.30am call I brought him up to speed, using all the medical terminology I could recall from Grey's Anatomy (more on THAT episode later) House and ER.
He sumarily dismissed brain tumour, malaria, appendicitis, meningitis and tuberculosis (my preliminary diagnoses) as well as a number of rare genetic disorders.
As the coup de grace I produced the offensive de-worming tablets and said "then it's my fault, I overdosed her on these.
He paused, sighed, and asked me if we'd been poisoning ants or cockroaches. Instant panic. "Her symptoms are neurological, what you're seeing here is what you'd look like if you smoked 2 packs of 30 cigarettes in 10 minutes" I assured him she doesn't smoke and that we haven't been poisoning anything (Scientist no 1 would immediately feed it to us given her environmental focus) He produced a syringe, gave her an injection in the neck skin (she clawed his arms and face in response) and wrestled her back into the cage.
"That should help" he said, taping his skin back together again  "If she gets worse or vomits bring her back tomorrow morning"
I took her home and tenderly set up a bed next to the heater. She glared at me, washed her paws and settled down.
At which point Scientist no 1 arrived, hobbling, and in need of maternal attention. She'd been at the doctor having glass removed from her foot, a process that involved local anaesthesia, scalpels and adrenaline apparently.

"Bring me a glass of wine" I said, "I'm shattered"

No comments:

Post a Comment