Saturday, July 17, 2010

The thing about long-distance travel….

I'm not entirely convinced that I'm suited to intercontinental travel anymore. It sounds blasé, but quite frankly having 3 square inches of personal space for 11 hours is not my idea of fun. Navigating the rabbit warren that is Heathrow 2010 with a demented trolley having had perhaps 20 minutes of sleep is an experience I'd sooner not repeat.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I've done London. In a previous life I worked as cabin crew for SAA. I worked out (after backpacking around Greece for 6 months) that if you work for the airline they put you up in 5 star hotels, give you money while you're there and you get to see the world while pretending you're working. You also get to sleep in the crew rest, which allows you to stretch out properly, even if it is only for 2 hours.

I've discovered that I'm not very good as a passenger either. I need to walk around from time to time, but getting past the walrus in the aisle seat while the passenger in front drops their seat-back to sleep position requires contortionist skills I appear to lack.

Then there's my whole distrust of airbus thing. Quite apart from the fact that I believe it was designed by someone entirely lacking design skills, it needs a computer to stay in the air. It's ugly, uncomfortable and not terribly good at gliding. Sometimes the computer decides it shouldn't stay in the air and so it doesn't. I am partial to the Boeing 747 design, they're pretty, have 4 engines, and can glide.

No comments:

Post a Comment