Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Resolutionites

My grandmother and I bought new hats in Garries in July. This picture is entirely irrelevant to the post, but I like it.

It's that time of the year when people make all sorts of rash decisions, label them resolutions and (by and large) set themselves up for failure. Gyms are packed to overflowing and there is grumbling from the Regulars.
I'm quite fond of the Resolutionites for two reasons
  1. Gym fees would be substantially higher if they didn't sign up each January, come to gym for six weeks or so and then disappear for the rest of the year
  2. Some of them turn into Interesting Regulars. 
I tend to have more success if I pick an arbitrary day for big decisions. 
Walter gave up smoking in early July (it wasn't even a Monday) and has managed to maintain it (this was previously an annual attempt implemented at 24h00 on 31st December)
So don't feel bad if your resolutions don't last. Just pick another day to try again if it's that important to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment