Friday, February 24, 2012

Airport chaos

Yesterday was one of those days....

The flight booking I thought I had (12h50) had not been confirmed. The next 3 flights were full and I could only get onto the 16h00 flight. The airport was chaotic, irate passengers practising the life-threatening sport of queue-jumping and most airlines playing advanced gate-swapping to cull the unfit from all flights.

"The flights are all over-booked" I was told when checking in (which explains why I try and get to the airport early) The shell-shocked mother behind me simply gave up on the screaming, purple-faced toddler who had taken exception to all the noise and rush. For a moment I considered adding to the toddler's sit-in but thought better of it.

When we finally got to the threshold of runway 21R we sat there for what seemed like a very long time. Eventually the captain explained that a light aircraft had wandered into the commercial airspace putting a temporary hold on all activity by commercial flights. A maintenance vehicle spotted the gap and carried out a quick runway inspection (looking for potholes, I believe) which delayed us further.

But we got here eventually and I awoke to this today



I think the 12h50 flight was probably cancelled, in any event I got here faster on the 16h00 flight


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Signal Hill Rd,Cape Town,South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment