Friday, August 5, 2011

Ah, Cape Town

I've always been slightly wary of Cape Town. Growing up in Zambia I'd already been to Europe before I ventured that far south, and there is that "thing" to consider (No, not the freezing Atlantic ocean; Johannesburg people always run it down, then they 'semigrate' there as soon as they get a chance. Then they carry on complaining)
Anyhow.
The weather was perfect when I landed on Monday evening and even the TomTom behaved, taking me (almost) straight to the hotel (I alternate. But the other hotel doesn't have free wireless so they're off the list for now). I even managed to find the entrance to the hotel's garage first time around (heeding the car rental's "Don't hand over your keys to ANYONE to park your car" advice)
And I stepped onto my balcony to see this

And met up for pink drinks with my friend Sets the next evening here
although perhaps boots weren't the most appropriate choice of footwear for this outing...

So I fully understand the appeal of the mother city.

The only altercation I had with the TomTom was trying to get back to the airport, when I switched it on it gave me 0m as the distance to my destination. While I was in the city (Jo'burg people tell me it was "obviously in Cape Town mode")

A cold front was moving in and I snapped this with the mik en druk on take-off

And nearly froze when we landed in Johannesburg.

Yes, the Air Angola B747 is still there...

No comments:

Post a Comment