Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Taking a sabbatical

The Pink Drinks girls had widely varying responses to my announcement that I would be 'taking a sabbatical'
Gorgeous Genius blinked at me over her Manhattan and announced it was time for an intervention "Karen buys and sells companies, she doesn't disappear into Buddhist retreats. Clearly she's had a nervous breakdown"
The Border Collie disagreed "Nonsense. They aren't paying private school fees any longer" and my Grandmother (after greeting me with a "You look too dreadful, you need a rest") drained her Tequila sunrise and said "I think it's a fabulous idea. We can walk again"

It had been an exceptionally difficult day at the office, I realised I hadn't seen my best friend in two years and I had a meltdown trying to figure out if I had the energy to have dinner with other friends over the weekend.
I think the team was trying to tell me something...

Sabbatical or a sabbatical (from Latin sabbaticus, from Greek sabbatikos, from Hebrew shabbat, i.e., Sabbath, literally a "ceasing") is a rest from work, or a break, often lasting from two months to a year. The concept of sabbatical has a source in shmita, described several places in the Bible (Leviticus 25, for example, where there is a commandment to desist from working the fields in the seventh year). In the strict sense, therefore, a sabbatical lasts a year. (Wikipedia)

I don't have a year, in fact I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to take a month off, and the first lesson will be the hardest; to leave the work alone.
I failed miserably on the first day, fielding calls and answering emails. It's day two and I've answered emails so I've scaled down my objectives to: Do not answer the phone. Let's see  how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment