Sunday, April 22, 2012

Il Dottore and the Fritalian consultation

We've been in the Pisa region of Tuscany for the last week, at the Borgo San Carlo just outside Pomaia, Sante Luce



Where the lack of wi-fi led to me getting sinus and Walter having to put his foot down eventually and insist on my seeing a doctor. On his birthday, no less, the poor thing had to track one down via the receptionist.

The doctor has "rooms" in 2 villages, Pistana and Sante Luce itself. 2 hours per day per village.

It was an interesting exercise "Buonasera Signore, parla Inglese?" "Bocca" (this could mean anything from A little to Badly from what I've discovered)

I coughed and wheezed and pointed to my forehead and said "sinus"

After rattling off his life story to me (or maybe it was a disclaimer, who knows?) he listened to my chest (trying to get me to cough, eventually coughing himself since I wasn't understanding) all the while I'm telling him I get this often and it's just an upper respiratory tract infection. Anyway he clearly didn't understand my Fritalian but he eventually came to the same conclusion.

He wrote a script (asking for my passport, which gave me quite a turn, maybe I was wrong and he was reporting some new bird-flu to the authorities? Or needed to know where to send the body? But no, prescriptions here need addresses too)

I had almost no cash on me, he didn't have a credit card machine, but I managed to scrounge the €15 consultation fee together. In Pinglese he told me "Stay warm, frodo is bad" (hobbits? Bad? Ah! Cold - si)

The pharmacists here don't give advice at all, they merely dispense. Also, the price is imprinted on the box, but there's no indication of schedule or dosage. The contents are, however, written in Braille on the box, which seems like a very good idea indeed.

Anyway, 4 days later I'm almost in showroom condition again. That's what you get for joking your husband has man-flu, you have been warned.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment