Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 5...

Another perfect day in Africa



How is it already day 5 when it feels like we’ve just arrived? There are more guests, and last night I heard a rather loud cat advertising its stud services outside our casita. The power went off (it does, from time to time) but I could still read on the iPhone and Walter has the headlamp, so it made little difference to us. It’s back again this morning, so we are charging phones (reading and camera device rather than an actual phone, since there’s no service here for me) and the weather is once again beautiful.
Fortunately the ear-ache has gone, the broad spectrum antibiotics are still in the first-aid box should I need them, but in the absence of any fever or other symptoms I don’t think they are necessary. Walter asks me which year of medical school taught me that little piece of insight; he worries too much and spoiled me with lamb chops, ribs, beautiful roast potatoes and avo. He should give Gilda lessons, having mastered the gas oven so quickly. 
A lazy morning of reading followed by the beach with a walk in the other direction led us to more rock pools. We sat watching the antics of the fish and crabs for around an hour then slowly wandered back – I wanted to get the snorkelling gear and poke around the edges of the rocks bordering the bay. There were already a few snorkelers out there, and it looked like a great idea until one young girl got washed over the rocks and was headed out to sea, shouting for help and waving one arm in the air. We hurried along the bay to see what we could do and were around half way down the beach when her father finally leapt into the sea. Fortunately she didn’t panic and soon enough a wave washed her back onto the rocks (she must have been badly cut by the razor-sharp barnacles) and after clinging to the rocks for a while she managed to get back into the bay. I’m not quite sure why her parents hesitated initially, there are no life savers here and of the roughly 10 people on the beach they were clearly the best prospects of help. I knew we couldn’t get out there and negotiate those rocks without getting into serious trouble ourselves, even if we had been closer when she washed out. 

Obviously that put paid to any ideas of snorkelling and we retired to our beach chairs to read.
Late in the afternoon the cat I’d heard the night before came to visit, all chatty and friendly and I duly gave him all the leftover chicken.
 I think I'll take it all, thank you

El Gato. Yes, I know that’s Spanish rather than Portuguese, but it’s all I could come up with at short notice and without “The Google”

No comments:

Post a Comment