Sunday, June 19, 2011

Neologisms

I'm pretty sure most families have made-up words they use, a kind of shorthand, or secret language only they understand.
For years I referred to assorted car parts as the "Gewurztraminer" When the broken engine noise in the Land rover could no longer be drowned out by turning up the radio I would waltz into the garage and airily inform the mechanic "The Gewurztraminer has gone. You should also check the bi-flapular valve, I think it's blocked"
I believe this approach served me well, he understood he couldn't pull the wool over my eyes when it came to fixing the car.
Now I'm perfectly aware that Gewurztraminer is an actual word, and is therefore a malapropism rather than a neologism, but let's not get pedantic - it serves as an introduction.

Lesson 1 - most people would refer to this as a washing machine.  I prefer Sockoloshe.

For anyone confused about the root of the word, just Google Tokoloshe.

No comments:

Post a Comment