Saturday, March 6, 2010

Visualists

So I'm not really visual, I can't remember what you wore yesterday and if I lost a child in a shopping centre I would have trouble describing their clothes. I once did a test at the MTN Science Centre in Cape Town (well worth visiting if you have small children) and the computer thought long and hard before deciding to score me as audio-visual. Apparently this is very unusual.

When someone says red I see R-E-D, not the colour, and the most common response to my ideas in brainstorming sessions is "Where did THAT come from?" I can't tell the difference between all the blues and purples that have funky names but I can read a map properly. I get into a cold sweat when the scientist asks me "which blouse? this one (runs out of room, returning with what appears to be the same one) or this one?"

I'm not sure how it came about, it may have something to do with going to 13 different schools in 3 different countries, something I also blame for my (ahem) problem with numbers. Slippery little suckers in my opinion. The upside of this approach to education is that none of the systems had me in their grip long enough to find the relevant box or label for me. It also meant I had to find new ways to cope with new situations very quickly - something that's stood me in good stead ever since. Vive la difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment