Sunday, March 20, 2011

Is it a bird, is it a plane?

Last night was the moon's perigee (when it's closest to earth and appears larger than usual)
Being a Cancerian from time to time (ie: when it suits me) I was looking forward to seeing my "guiding planet" up close and personal, so to speak.
Of course it rained.
So I was reduced to looking at photographs

This one, from mooncollection.com shows how the moon would look at the apogee (farthest point from earth) and the perigee, using the same lens
 This beauty (Gordon Gillet, ESO) was on the SAWDIS site and shows the moon rising over Chile

There's a gorgeous shot of the moon rising over Manhattan on Flickr - well worth heading over there to take a look.

In fact, Flickr has a whole section devoted to last night's moon shots. You'll find it here. Thanks to Darren Smith, a Johannesburg-based photographer of note.

I didn't see any werewolves

No comments:

Post a Comment